Saturday, June 23, 2012

Core strengthening

Recently, I offered one of my girl some guidance to correct her posture and use of muscles. This girl takes ballet classes outside of school. I was choreographing a dance which she was the main character in, and I decided to include her doing some pirouettes in the dance. However, I noticed much stiffness in her shoulders while she was turning. She also habitually strains her neck muscles in pulling it long.

I saw that her strain stems from a weak core and pelvic floor. I guided her in a few floor exercises to strengthen these areas as well as activate her psoas muscles, all the while guiding her with words like lengthening and ask you body what to do. She responded well to these cues. When we tested fondus and grand battemands on the barre, the light on her face was the most satisfying expression of all... She was so happy that it all felt so different. I was moved.

Later, I instructed her to stand in first position and to squeeze in her pelvic floor muscles and zip up her abdomens, her neck and shoulders starts releasing in the way that she had never felt before! It was so amazing and I am so happy for her.

Her pirouette still needs work, and I'm confident that we will get to that soon.

But the philosophy?

Strenghten your core and your tensions will be relieved.
Dance is meant to be enjoyable, relaxing and stress free, but doing so requires you having a strong core. Keep your head and your sense of direction too.


Cheers...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grief

Grief...     As human beings, it is inevitable that we will encounter losses and pains, in one way or another...    And in it, we grief.  Ye...